Thursday 18 April 2013

Bike Parade

Jake started a local preschool a few weeks ago. It's just two afternoons a week, but for some reason I was really nervous about him starting since he's just only turned three years old and was thinking about the many reasons he may not have been ready. Of course, it has been totally fine.

One lesson I have been learning throughout this parenting journey is that sometimes our children are ready for things before we are. Typically I am the one not ready to let go and move on into the next phase of life, but instead of admitting that to myself I pretend like he's the one who is not ready, and sometimes I think my inability to let go probably holds him back a little. So I am very glad that I bit the bullet and let him start preschool so early because he loves it, and it has unraveled pieces of him that have really allowed him to come into his own personality more fully.

And while he looks forward to preschool every time now, this morning he was hopping out of bed particularly excited because today was bike parade day. The children were instructed on Tuesday to bring in their bikes, trikes and scooters decorated and ready to parade around the neighborhood. I spent the morning with my boy digging through gift wrap boxes pulling out ribbon, tape, cardboard, and bows. Together we transformed his tricycle into something akin to a badly wrapped birthday present. It was ribbony, slightly tacky, and very hodge podge but he loved it and proudly road his trike around his Preschool block like it was the best day of his life.... and I can imagine it just might have been.

Decorating

On your mark....
 


Get set.....


GO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment