Thursday 28 March 2013

The Eternal Spring

I know this is going to sound ridiculous to some of you but I just have to say it: "Winter where are you? I miss you. Please come visit."



Yes, it's true. We've basically had no winter here. No snow, barely any frost, mild temperatures, rain, sun, wind, but no snow. It's like we moved from a brilliant Fall clear through to Spring as though this little season called Winter didn't even exist.


I held out hope right up until this last week, but then I threw in the towel. If Winter hasn't showed his face by the end of March he ain't gonna. Is it wrong to feel like I've been stood up by a hot date?

It's no secret that I love snow. I got married in the winter just on the off chance we might get snow (it did by the way, in beautiful abundance).

I understand that living on the "Wet Coast" pretty much ensures mild temperatures that leans heavy on the rainfall. Snow isn't really a huge part of our lives, when it does it typically lasts a couple of days before it gets washed away, but you can usually count on its brief appearance at least once a winter. But not this winter.

It's fine, really. I may have bought Jake a snow suit back in October in the anticipation of taking him out for winter wonderland walks through our snowy neighborhood, but I see now it's not all that bad. After all what is there to complain about? I have had flowers blooming in my back yard since January, we've been playing outside most days, digging up worms, tossing a frizbee. Spring is good. But for lack of anything else to complain about in my life at the moment I just had to say - "Winter, how I have missed thee."




Our backyard deer, enjoying an early spring.

 Hoping that all you other West Coasters are enjoying this eternal spring with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment