Thursday 14 June 2012

Granola for life

We are nearly in mid-June and all I can say for the last two weeks is: Granola.

A few weeks this man visited my husband's office and gave a presentation about health, life and food. Mr. Boyd came home not only inspired to throw out everything in our fridge and replace it with hemp seeds and almond milk, but also carrying Adam Hart's book under his arm ( he won door prize).


That very night he whipped up his first batch of granola. There have been many batches since then in his quest to achieve the perfect mix of ingredients, taste and crunch.  Jake and I have been reaping the rewards of his hard labour - although to be honest it is deceivingly simple to make.

 
The varieties are endless. He started out with the basic recipe he found in the book, but since then has played around with hazelnuts, coconut flakes, sesame seeds, flax, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, almonds, and always, always hemp seed. It's his thing.  I never help (I'm not allowed to), he has complete control over the process. He takes over the kitchen with his mixing bowls, spatula's, ingredients and creates granola magic.


Jake loves it as a snack, he sits with a bowl of bigger chunks (no milk) and crunches them down in no time. Our processed cereal has gone stale in their boxes, he has made 5 batches in 2 weeks.  I have eaten a fresh bowl of granola every morning this June - apart from the Sunday we had homemade hemp seed pancakes.


I love my husband.

1 comment:

  1. Fun!!!! JP is on a big health kick too and our fridge is full of the same stuff. I have been making a batch of granola every week (mom's recipe) with Coconut oil instead of Canola Oil (supposed to be much better for you!!) I LOVE the taste of hemp seeds on yogurt with fruit, very nutty. And Vanilla almond milk is one of Gab's favorite things to have as an afternoon snack.

    ReplyDelete