Saturday 16 June 2012

Graduation Day

Yesterday was an oasis of sunshine in the bleak rainy days that have befallen us this June.  It was clear and brilliant, warm and bright. And we spent the morning of it watching one of our favorite people graduate from University.


I also graduated from this University, and let me say (completely biased in opinion) that when it comes to pomp and circumstance, Simon Fraser University delivers in a big way.



I got to stand behind these guys :)


The opening entrance procession of the graduation ceremony alone is worth the price of the degree.  I have never felt more confident and proud as I did when I walked down the steps to the convocation mall led by two world class bag pipers, square cut hat on my head, leather bound degree in my hand.  It's like the graduates descend upon the masses, an army of intellect.  You can't help but feel brilliant, and entitled.


You've earned it.


So every time I get to watch a ceremony up here, I get a little misty eyed.  Especially when I watch someone I love get the recognition they deserve for 5 years of hard work.



As for Jake.... let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in the pipe band one day. He was a fan.


But mostly he was proud of his Uncle Jeff, who has spent many afternoons taking care of my little boy, and who my little boy adores completely.

I should also pause to acknowledge another favored Uncle who graduated this week with his second degree.  He is "an ocean away" so we couldn't be there, but we are just as proud, and he is just as accomplished.

Congratulations to all the June graduates everywhere - go get 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment