Thursday 5 April 2012

Spring Fling

I don't want to jinx it by saying this, but I think Spring may finally be in the air.  We've had more patches of really nice, sunny weather than we've had in a long time, and to celebrate we Boyd's have been spending as much time as possible outside.


Our new neighborhood has an abundance of play grounds, green space, forest grove, and soccer pit space so being outside is easy, all we needed was sunshine.

Oh sun, you are so good for my soul.



Spring has also brought me flowers in my surprise garden.  When we moved in here, during the dead of winter, without the faintest hint of green on my thumb, the last thing I thought of was flowers and gardening, I didn't even think we had a garden!  And then one day I walked out onto our patio and saw little bits of purple and yellow and white and green poking out of the soil fringing our property. Over the weeks these little bits have grown into these pretty unexpected flowers that have brought a new brightness to our home.

I suppose someone planted them last year, and they bloomed again this year without us even knowing they were there in the soil just waiting for Spring to arrive.



Who knew something so simple could make you so happy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For his birthday a few weeks ago, Jake got an adorable wooden town set from his oldest friend (they met when they were 4 and 5 weeks old). Whenever we play trains - which is often - Jake always pulls out this box and starts placing the little houses, and cars along his train tracks. He sets up a house or two before he becomes entirely wrapped up in chugging his trains along the track, but I usually remain engrossed. I spend several minutes designing the town layout (making sure to set up the fire hall close to the hospital, and the grocery store within walking distance to the pet shop),  and taking care to place the matching roof shingles on the appropriate buildings. Often I am still playing with the town when Jake's moved on to another game.


I love how it brings my imagination alive. I think of moms hurrying to finish grocery shopping before they pick up the kids from school. Post men parking their trucks along the street as they pile mail boxes high with letters and parcels. Trees popping up between Town Hall and Pet Shop bringing bright spurts of green to our made up village. I had forgotten how much fun these make believe games from my youth could be. It feels good to be young with my boy.


-----------------------------------------------------------------

On another Spring note, Easter is just around the corner, and the anticipation of chocolate eggies and the Easter Bunny is causing a lot of excitement around here. 

Jake recently started going to "school" once a week, and we came home today with a couple of foil wrapped eggs and some sparkly arts and crafts that have helped welcome Easter into our home.

With that much sparkle the Easter Bunny is sure to find our new home!

Happy Easter, from the Boyd's.

No comments:

Post a Comment