Sunday 5 February 2012

Superbowl Birthday Cakes

I am writing my first post from my new and cozy mountain top home. After weeks of living in moving limbo it feels so good to finally be here. Our move from old to new went really well, and the transition I thought would be hard has in fact been very easy for all of us.

I feel like we are closer to the moon living up here.

Playing at the local soccer pit.
Our new home is lovely. It's bright and big(ger than our old place), with two levels, three bedrooms and a dish washing machine. Would you believe it if I told you that in all my life I have never had a dish washing machine. My father-in-law had to give me a few evening lessons on how to properly load and use one. We also have a little front porch with room for planting, grilling and bird watching. I noticed early on that the little neighborhood birds seemed drawn to our porch, and I think it will soon be time to get a bird feeder and some seeds to help them get through the rest of this winter.

Our new beach just down the hill.

Our new beach happens to be along a rail way track - which Jake happens to absolutely loves.
 

I will post photos of our new home soon, but today I actually had a different reason for blogging because today I made a cake.

I  love baking, but I rarely make fancy cakes. We have a cousin who is a cake master, and whose creations would shame Martha on the best of days. I always look at her tasty art and wonder when that kind of cake making inspiration will hit me.  Well, I am glad to say that today was the day, and so I am taking a time out to brag about it for a minute because it was a lot harder than it looks and I am very proud.

Behold, my Superbowl/Mom's 66th birthday cake:

And yes, it was delicious.  Vanilla cake, with cherry filling and an Ovaltine whipped cream frosting.  Happy Birthday Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment