Saturday 19 November 2011

Baking with my boy

The other day, late on a cold, dark and rainy afternoon, I was looking for a way to entertain Jake in our apartment. We had played with every toy we own and read at least a dozen books before I remembered this little gem of a cookie recipe that I had never made but was always meaning to try.

Jake has never baked with me before, but I thought this was as good an afternoon as any to introduce him to the joys of cookie baking, and I am happy to say he passed with flying colours!  He stood on his little stool and dumped in measured out cups of flour and sugar, and stole dough covered cranberries out of the mixing bowl when he thought I wasn't looking.  It was a great first experience, and with Christmas cookie season just around the corner I am sure it won't be his last chance to wield a spatula this year.



Here is the recipe: Orange Cranberry Drops


1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 tablespoon orange juice
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoon orange zest (I just used the zest of one orange)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried craberries

Method:
1. Pre-heat oven 375 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheet
2. In a medium bowl, cream togetehr the sugars and butter. Stir in the egg, orange juice, extract and zest. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix into the orange mixture. Stir in cranberries. Drop cookie dough in heaping teaspoonfuls on the prepared cookie sheets.
3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges are browned.

Delicious I say, and the flavors are a perfect compliment to the season that is fast approaching. So far they've been favored by all who've bitten into them, especially this guy:

They say things always taste better when you've had a hand in making them yourself.
 

Happy weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment