Sunday 9 October 2011

Taking it all in stride: thanksgiving edition

There are some weeks that are just crazy. Pure chaos one could say.  Weeks where everything seems to come together all at once in the perfect storm of upheaval.  Family colds, overtime at work, one final and nasty bout of teething, no available child care, and whole a lot of driving around. I'd go on all that has been going on for us in the last ten days that has kept me from posting recently, but this is Thanksgiving weekend, and all the chaos aside I am feeling pretty thankful.


Thankful for family that came through and took care of Jake for not one but two whole days, during a time when he was not feeling well. Thankful for a friend of a friend whom I barely know and who owes me nothing who went out and found a child care solution for us. Thankful for great-grandpas whose open door policy saved us a lot in gas money and peace of mind. Thankful to my mama who offered to give up her hard earned vacation to come and watch my boy if I needed. And thankful to have a child who put up with it all without a fuss... okay, with minimal fuss considering.


I know there will be weeks to come that will be harder and more chaotic than this. Weeks where things fall through and go wrong, and generally unravel out of my control.  Weeks where I will just fall behind on everything in my household from laundry to Muffin Mondays to family time. 

Water parks are just as fun without the water.
But I know that those weeks of pure chaos are short, and few between.  The weeks that have the majority holdings around here will always be a little chaotic and I am okay with that. Some things will fall behind, while others get more attention.  The natural give and take of family life.  One day laundry is about two weeks behind, but dinners are an ace every night for a week. I am learning to accept that this is the new balance of my life since becoming a mother, and to be thankful for it.

Sure last week was one for the birds, but it's all good now.  My boy is back to his happy and smiling self, I have a turkey feast lined up tomorrow that would put Martha to shame, and my laundry is (almost) caught up with.  I'd say things are looking up.

Tunnels: the latest obsession


Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment