Tuesday 18 October 2011

Birthday! Birth-day!

This was a weekend of celebrating birthdays.


On Saturday morning we attended my oldest nephew's 4th birthday party.  It was so much fun to be a part of this day, especially for Jake who discovered his passion for Carousels and made off with his first ever birthday loot bag.



I couldn't help getting nostalgic though.  I mean, I remember when this boy was born. Standing in the hospital room holding this little pink baby bundled up tight in a white swaddle cloth, thinking to myself how much our family was going to change (for the better!) and how instantly I had absolutely devoted myself to him in that very moment. This boy was the first baby born in either my, or my husband's families, and we were both so besotted, so stunned by this tiny little perfect person that I didn't, couldn't imagine loving anyone more.

And now he is 4.  Four big years old. He plays with Lego, and I am talking the small stuff that most of us need a magnifying glass to see. He sneezes into his elbow better than most adults I know, and uses a real knife and fork to eat his dinner.  He's the big boy my small boy looks up at with big round admiring eyes. And this weekend I watched as he sat glowing with all his little people friends singing happy birthday to him and I couldn't help it, I cried. Just a little.


The very next day we got news that our newest nephew was ready to make his debut in this world, and bright and early on Monday morning over a bowl of soggy cherrios and oatmeal with Jake we celebrated the good news of his arrival.  Now he is the new little baby, wrapped tight in that white cloth, pink cheeks puffed out with the newness of his breathe, tiny fists curled up above his head, and just that quickly I am once again overcome with as much love and undying devotion as I was four years ago.

It did not escape me this weekend just how full the circle has come. I am blessed, and don't I know it.



Happy birthday Oliver and Tristan!

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet tribute to little Oliver! Thanks for coming to the carousel fest...wouldn't have been the same without Jake!

    ReplyDelete