Monday 19 September 2011

Muffin Mondays

It's been busy around here. Lots of running around, visiting, cooking, having company, being company, and catching up with the very best of friends.  All good stuff, but still its been busy.  And to top it off, the dreaded end-of-summer cold has found its way into this Boyd residence.  Combined all of these things and I consider it a small miracle that I got this weeks muffin baking done. 

Mostly my pride wouldn't let me not make these babies.  I mean, it is only the second week of my Fall baking challenge, and there was just no way that I was copping out of my challenge two weeks in.

This week I went with carrot muffins.  There is just so much goodness about them: importantly for me it's an easy and delicious way to get my boy to eat veggies, then there is the cinnamon in them make them smell Fall-like, and the variations are endless.


Here is the recipe I used from a great muffin baking book my mom gave me years ago:

4 large eggs
1 cup canola or walnut oil
2 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour (I did 2 cups all-purpose, 1 cup whole wheat)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground all spice
3 or 4 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 1/2 cups walnuts (I used raisins)






In a large bowl mix eggs, oil, and sugar with an electrical mixer until smooth and thickened.
In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and all spice. Add to egg mixure and mix together with electric mixer on low.
Using a spatula, fold in carrots and nuts, scrape down sides and stir again.
Spoon into greased muffin cups, bake until golden and springy to touch. 20-25 minutes.  Cool on racks.




It is supposed to make 24, but it was late when I made these and I was so tired that I filled the cups to the max and ended up with 12 big juicy over sized muffins.



Mmmmm.  This is an awesome recipe, moist and delicious. I've had three already....

Happy Monday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. You've had three already? Three what? Nibbles of one?! Ha! Well done on week two of your challenge. I challenge you to DINNER MUFFINS...! Lemme know if you find a good recipe...

    ReplyDelete