Sunday 24 August 2014

Trains Forever

Remember that toy, or game or stuffed animal you had as a kid that you played with for years and years and years. When all other kids had moved on to different interests, or asked Santa for something new each year all you wanted was the same thing over and over and over. For me it was Barbies. I would search the piles of gifts at Christmas trying to pick out the one that was shaped in that tell tale rectangular shape and dive for it not caring in the least what the other boxes held. I probably played with them several years longer than any of my friends did, and still have my coveted collection of dolls in my parents' basement sealed up tight and waiting for the next Barbie lover to come along. 

Well, one little girl's Barbie is another little boy's train. Our boy has been playing with this set since he was just over one, and as the set has grown over the years so has his interest and his imagination. I love watching him pull out his over flowing bin of wooden tracks and create a new system and story to go with it nearly every day.


I usually build the village around it, that's my job. Sister sits in her excersaucer and watches, that's her's. Although I think she might be quitting her job soon, she's doesn't seem very content with it since she's started crawling... we'll see if Jake will hire her onto the railroad committee.


Somehow I doubt it.


Here's to childhood toy obsessions, and the many years of joy they bring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment