Tuesday 27 August 2013

Something Different

Warning: If topics such as bird poop and/or toddler poop offend you this is your cue to move on to the next blog.

With that out of the way I'll start by saying that we potty trained Jake a year ago. He was just shy of two and a half. He didn't show any "signs" of readiness but I thought he was of an appropriate age and moreover I was ready as I'd ever be so I took the bull by the horns and much to my surprise Jake was trained before the week was out. He took to it really quickly and never looked back - to peeing that is. Poop was a whole other story. It took months, and when I say months I mean pretty well almost a whole other year before he built up the courage, or the maturity, or whatever it was he needed to build up before he confidently pooped in the toilet. Until then he waited to do his deed until he was safely tucked in bed at night with his pull up on. Around February I sat down with him at his little crafting table and we put together a sticker chart to motivate the pooping in the toilet.

There was about three stickers on it by the time he turned 3 in mid March. Maybe eight by April. Then in May something clicked in his body and brain and the stickers started flying onto the chart. By mid June we didn't even need the chart anymore, but I left it on the wall next to the toilet out of sentiment, or laziness, I'll never know which, and every once in a while Jake still likes to toss a sticker up there after a poop he's particularly proud of. Anyway, I thought I'd take a picture of it before I finally take it down because it goes very nicely with this next gem of a story I have for you.


And when I say story, I mean a story, written by Coral Vass. This book proudly sits in our child's library courtesy of Jake's fabulous Uncle Jon who visited Australia a few months ago and brought this home as a gift for my three year old. Ever since this hilarious, slightly graphic but a lesson in kindness nevertheless, book has become a favorite bedtime story around here. True, bird poop may seem a bit odd a topic for bed time but it brings a smile to all our faces every time we read it. It's funny, and there is a lesson in it about getting along, and being kind, and accepting differences - so it stays in the book shelf. And if you ever feel your child's library is in desperate need of a unique and fun Australian story then we Boyd's highly recommend this one. But remember, it requires an open and hardy sense of humor.


Go for it, try something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment