Monday 16 January 2012

Procrastinating, and the view outside my window

I can think of a million things I should be doing right now. Packing, laundry, ironing, packing, it goes on and on. Instead I am distracted by this: 

The view outside our window: Part I

It is snowing in our parts, and I am a sucker for snow. I love the crunch under foot, the quietness that falls over the busy street outside our apartment, the cozy winter feeling that makes me want to whip up a mug of hot chocolate with marshmallows on top. 

It's so rare here in our city that when it happens I want to stop everything, put on my snow boots and run outside to make snow angles and igloos.  I was looking forward to our annual snow fall so much because I couldn't wait to watch Jake discover all the joys of fresh laid snow.  When it snowed last year he was still too young to really appreciate it and could only sit there, somewhat shell shocked, while I danced around in it in front of him. 

The view outside our window: Part II

So this morning I got him up, all excited with the anticipation of sharing a good romp in the snow with my boy, when imagine my surprise, I bring my baby outside and brotha wants nothing to do with it. Won't walk in it, sit in it, or touch it. He sticks to the shoveled side walk like his life depends on it, and when we have the misfortune of hitting a patch that has not been shoveled he turns to me or his dad with lifted arms and begs to be carried. 

There was an instant when he was standing there, arms raised, whimpering, when I couldn't help but feel cheated somehow, but he’s my baby and I love him no matter what. Even if he is a sun and surf dude, rather than a snow and hot chocolate gal like his mama.

And who knows, he might come round. After all, where we’re headed there should be snow clear through to April. Kid’s gonna have to get used to it sometime.

--------------------------------------------

Other things that have made me happy this week: realizing that this has been the hit for about 4 months now and shows no signs of getting old. 


And this:

View outside my window, pre-snow
I’m lovin’ my boys something fierce these days. 


I’ll start packing soon as the snow melts. Swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment