Sunday 21 August 2011

Weekend Adventures

When I was pregnant people often asked me whether I had a preference for a boy or a girl.  We opted not to find out before the baby was born, and I loved the feeling of anticipation for the moment the doctor says "it's a...", but I couldn't say I ever really had a preference exactly.  I sort of always imagined having a girl because since I am a girl and it's all I've ever known it was my comfort zone, and I just didn't really think beyond that. Also, let's be honest, the aisles of pink in the baby stores just always totally got my "awww" juices flowing.  But almost as soon as I knew I was pregnant I had this feeling I was going to have a boy.  Something in my gut told me not to paint the baby's room pink just yet.

Turns out I was right, and baby boys rock!  My boy has taught me so much about letting loose, taking chances, and indulging in wild (and often messy) fun.

But this weekend I had a very special treat because I got to babysit my good friends baby girl all day on Saturday.  Jake loves moving, he loves being busy and taking off on new adventures.  There is so much to do and see and explore and dig up that there often isn't the time to just snuggle up to mama for a long cuddle.  So this weekend when I had a girl that was content just to quietly play with her toys by my side, and turned herself into me for a long leisurely cuddle just because she felt like it, I settled back into our couch with her and just soaked it all up.  She even fell asleep on my shoulder at one point, can you imagine!  she just wrapped her arms around my neck, burrowed her soft head into my neck and passed out.  I was in heaven.  Plus I got to dress her in pink summer dresses and cute flowered sun hats.  I now have a new understanding of the old truth "every child is different." It is amazing sometimes just how large those differences can be.


But all differences aside I still love my boy best, and spending the day with him and his daddy today reminded me again how awesome a life with boys is.


This morning we rode our bikes to the play ground on Granville Island, and of course as I was packing our day pack I completely over looked the fact that Jake would be more interested in the adjoining water park.  So, we arrived with a dry toddler.... 


....and left with a toddler sitting in his bike seat wearing only his diaper and his helmet, and a back pack full of wet clothes.


I had more foresight in the afternoon when we went for an afternoon mystery trip to Deep Cove. The weather was hot and muggy and the beach was just calling Jake's name.  Fearless as ever he b-lined it straight into the water where he happily watched boats coming in and out of the harbor, and collected rocks in his buckets.




One day. Two adventures. Four outfits. Three happy Boyds.

Mama and Jake taking a 30 second rest. Make that 15 seconds.


Another pretty darn good Sunday with the guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment