Friday 29 July 2011

Days off

I work three days a week, and on every one of these three days I sit at my desk and wish I was at home playing with, entertaining, or just plain being with my boy.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my work. I like that it gives me a little oasis which allows me the time and space to do something different, something that interests me and occupies me that isn't related to being a mom. 

But every time I come home I swear he has grown just a little taller, his hair is just a little longer, and  he's gotten just a little wiser than when I left him in the morning. And I wonder, is it worth it spending all this time away from him? I know a lot of mothers do it.  They go to work, they enjoy it, take pride in it, and wouldn't change a moment of the fine balance they've woven between their work and family life.  Most days I feel the same.  I am content with our routine, pleased that we all adjusted to it so well.

Other days, I just miss my boy...


Lately, I feel like he is growing and changing so much. Every day he seems to be transitioning farther away from being my baby and closer to being a big boy.  Soon he will be going to preschool, then kindergarten, before you know it he'll be embarrassed to have me walk beside him in the school yard, and won't want me tucking him in at night any more, or snuggling him close when he is sad, tired, hurt or just because.  In the meantime, I want to soak up every one of these moments where I am the center of his world, and he is the center of mine. I want to be there to watch him absorb and discover every inch of this big wonderful world around him. Forgive me for being cheesy but I don't wanna miss a thing, and these days are passing so quickly.



This week on my days off, we spent our lazy summer hours at the beach, going to coffee shops and toy stores with my sister and her littles, enjoying surprise visits from second cousins, and discovering that soccer is the newest coolest way to pass those long hours between nap time and daddy's highly anticipated return home from work. 


Ronaldo ain't got nothin' on this Boyd!
Happy Long Weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment